As a child many of us dream of accomplishing great things and having songs or folklore written about us for many generations to come. But Glory or as we call it today, fame is an illusion that will tear a person apart with jealousy, envy, competitiveness and consistently trying to become greater. Man was not made by God to receive the glory but instead we were made to give it all to God as appreciation for what He does in our lives. Let me just say, if your not giving God the glory in your popularity then who is getting it?
Famous people become celebrities like TV and Movie stars who over time begin to age and can no longer appeal to the masses. Their fame is fleeting and no matter who you are, your time in the spotlight will come to an end. For some it maybe just fifteen (15) minutes and for others it may be 20 years. However, in all of us it effects us the same and how we react to the sudden loss of fame can destroy or strengthen us. Being famous will change how we perceive others that make us bitter because they disrespect your privacy and chase you down everywhere, even breaking into your home. For some, fame will make them stronger and more determined to defend their principles and family, but alas fame will change who we are.
GLORY is defined at dictionary.com as “very great praise, honor, or distinction bestowed by common consent; renown, adoring praise or worshipful thanksgiving, something that is a source of honor, fame, or admiration, resplendent beauty or magnificence”
The bible tells us that Glory or fame, belongs to God alone so if we are thrust into the limelight, we must reflect the glory of God through us. Revelation 4:11“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” 1 Peter 4:11″If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen”
Here are some tips on how to handle your fame that will help protect you and your loved ones from the overwhelming desire of the media to know more about you. Never forget that there are people who want to do bad things, to discredit you, to destroy you and will attack your popularity just so they can gain it. Fame also puts your spouse and children at risk to predators in our society who see a picture of your child and will stop at nothing to get them.
1. Don’t give people a reason to talk about you. Flash and wild nights draw attention to you.
2. Learn to go to major events alone. Don’t expose your family and private life to the public. Then they will be followed, harassed and heavens forbid they never get stalked.
3. Don’t talk about your private life and keep it just that, private. Your children need safety from the prying eyes of strangers.
4. Be humble, give all the Glory to God. Profess God publicly and He will become your shield and defense.
5. Go undercover to places where you are well known. If your a local celebrity, go out to dinner in another city. Stay off the radar of the prying eyes to give yourself time to relax.
6. Find time to recharge and reduce stress alone. Peaceful walks, working out, eat healthy all will contribute to reducing the stress of fame.
7. Surround yourself with a support system of people who care about you and not your fame and what it can do for them.
8. Finally, use your gift of fame from God to do good and help others who do not have access to the national audiences like you. Help orphans, widows, children and other worthy causes get support.
As believers, Men today still speak for God in churches all over this world and teach us that we should be famous, rich, healthy, rulers over countries and all kind of “feel good” statements. The bible warns us in Jude 1:3 “Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.”
Ask yourself this, Who is the picture in the bookstore of, Jesus? Whose name is foremost in the ministry promotions, website, etc? Who is accumulating wealth as they are “blessed by God”? Whose getting famous?
SELFISHNESS, EGOS, INSECURITIES AND PRIDE STOMP ALL OVER GOD’S GLORY!
BEWARE, REPENT AND GIVE ALL HONOR, GLORY and PRAISE to GOD!