Did you know that the bible tells us that we can spot those who believe in Jesus Christ by the life they live. Using the same spirit of discernment, we can also spot the sinner who is still hanging onto their sinful ways, even after professing Jesus (Yeshua) as Lord and Savior. Matthew 7:15″15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles?”
First, lets look at how to discern the spirits and the flesh to know who is speaking truth in word and deed. Colossians 1:10“so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God” Th bible tells us to test the spirits in 1 John 4:1″Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. 4 Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.” We can see that even in the time of the Apostles/Disciples, that there was many false teachings concerning Christianity and that as believers, we need to be wide awake and watchful of the doctrine we listen to.
A righteous person will exhibit the fruits of the Holy Spirit, meditating on the Word and prayer working in their lives by a supernatural ability to remain calm and cheerful in the midst of storms. Galatians 5:22″ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.” True believers exhibit God’s character and nature in their every day lifestyle, words and deeds. John 13:34″ A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
As we know a righteous lifestyle produces a cheerful disposition, Sin produces a natural state that fights against doing thing God desires. We will find ourselves going to church less for what ever excuse we can find. We do not open the Bible and read from it daily nor do we spend anytime in prayer with our Heavenly Father. Sin then starts to manifest in our words and deeds in different ways.
- BITTERNESS Deuteronomy 32:32 “For their vine comes from the vine of Sodom and from the fields of Gomorrah; their grapes are grapes of poison; their clusters are bitter; Isaiah 38:17 “Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back.” Romans 3:14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.” Ephesians 4:31“Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.” Hebrews 12:15″See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled“
- NATURAL SINS Isaiah 5:2″He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it,
and hewed out a wine vat in it; and he looked for it to yield grapes,
but it yielded WILD grapes” Romans 1:26″For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature” Romans 6:19″I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification’ 1 Corinthians 2:14″The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned” 1 Corinthians 15:45“Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”;the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.
- SELFISHNESS Psalm 119:36″ Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!” Philippians 1:17″The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. Philippians 2;3″Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. James 3:14“But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice”
- DECEITFULNESS Hos 10:13″You have plowed iniquity; you have reaped injustice; you have eaten the fruit of lies. because you have trusted in your own way and in the multitude of your warriors” Matthew 13:22″ As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful” Mark 4:19″but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful” Hebrews 3:13″But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.”
- CORRUPTION Isaiah 1:4″Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! They have forsaken the LORD, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are utterly estranged” Ecclesiastes 7:7“Surely oppression drives the wise into madness, and a bribe corrupts the heart” Romans 8:21
“that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God” 2 Corinthians 7:2″Make room in your hearts for us. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have taken advantage of no one” Galatians 6:8″For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life” Ephesians 4:22″to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires” 2 Peter 2:19″They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved
- FLESHLY Gal 5:19 “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God”
SIN comes from hearing false teachings that says it is okay to pursue earthly things contrary to what the Bible says. We pick up these misunderstandings because of social peers, false preachers, false teachers in the educational system and so many other areas that say its OK to “be happy”. Sin is sin! No matter what we say to justify or reason that rationalizes what we are doing is perfectly okay and that we can convince others to believe it as well. Then when it is mainstream and “everybody is doing it” makes all okay within us. The sad thing is as we convince ourselves that we are not sinning, the truth is God’s word has not changed and if an action separates us from God, then it is SIN.
DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS BUT KNOW THE FRUITS, EVEN A BELOVED BELIEVER CAN SIN, IT IS TRUE REPENTANCE THAT MATTERS!